Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
Division of Finance and Administration

Serving UC Merced through Stewardship,
Accountability and Excellence


Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I call about my paycheck?

You can contact the UCM Payroll Services at

Who can I contact about my lost check?

Contact UCPath at  855-982-7284 and ask for a replacement check. This could take 4-6 weeks to receive a new check.

How can I be eligible for Federal Work Study?

To be considered for Work-Study, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all the deadlines for supporting documentation. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) priority-filing deadline is March 2nd. Once the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office receives your FAFSA information, you will be evaluated for financial need and a financial aid package will be determined. This package may include Federal Work-Study. To initiate the eligibility process for Work-Study, you must first accept your Work-Study award on your student portal. You may then begin to review available on-campus and off-campus positions in Cat PAWS. Once hired, you and your hiring department must complete and submit your FWS Eligibility form. For any questions regarding federal work study please contact the financial aid office at

When can I start working?

You may start working after visiting the HR Student Employment Services Office and successfully completing hire paperwork. 

How many hours can I work/ Can I hold more than one job?

You may work up to eighteen (18) hours per week while classes are in session and up to (40) hours per week during break. This limit applies to all your student employment positions if you have another non-FWS job.

How much can I earn on FWS?

The Work-Study award listed on your Work-Study Eligibility form represents the maximum amount you may earn (Federal and employer contributions combined) under the work-study program during the academic year. If you work in an on-campus position, you may continue to work and earn more than you FWS award if your hiring department approves. However any earnings over the award will not be paid under the FWS program and will be charged to the on-campus department you are working for. Any portion of your award that remains unearned at the end of the academic year will be forfeited, as it cannot be transferred to a subsequent award period.

Are FWS earnings taxable?

Work-Study earnings are considered taxable income. However, there are several factors determining the amount of your withholding, student unit enrollment, and Federal and State Withholding thresholds.  

Where do I pick up my check?  

If you are a new hire, your first check will be mailed to the address you provided when completing your hiring documents.  You may enroll for direct deposit online once you're new employee record has been established.  All jobs held are paid in one check and either mailed or direct deposited to your account bi weekly. 

Where do I report my hours worked?

TRS (Time Reporting System) is the electronic timehseet reporting system utilized by UC Merced.  Hours can be recorded daily and submitted to your supervisor for approval at the end of each bi weekly pay cycle. 

Where do I go to get employment information/verification?

You can check employment information/verification at: