Guidelines for Fall 2019-Fall 2020
- For Spring 2020/Summer 2020/Fall 2020 the hiring of graduate students into casual restricted titles (Student Asst Series 1-4) is restricted to those students who are not receiving support via a TA/TF or GSR appointment (inluding summer session teaching or research).
- Hiring into the Student Asst series will follow the usual recruitment or waiver process established for all casual/restricted classified titles
- Newly hired employees will not be permitted to perform services in any capacity until they have successfully completed all required hiring documents (instructions to complete new hire documents can be found here)
- Casual/Restricted classified jobs do not support tuition and fee remissions, thus no commitment to support a student in this capacity should be made.
- Students must meet the minimum enrollment requirements to be deemed FICA exempt. Failure to meet the minimum enrollment requirements may result in DCP withholding. It is not possible to decline the DCP deduction if eligibility requirements are not met.
- International graduate student employees may not exceed 50% time worked, regardless of program.
- No department shall hire a graduate student into a casual/restricted job without receiving PRIOR confirmation from the Graduate Division that the student holds no other conflicting jobs.
- Please utilize the pre-populated email request (above) to receive authorization from Graduate Division.
A graudate student who is on a "short work break" from thier primary job may hold a casual/restricted student staff title so long as the date of pay between thier casual/restricted (FLSA non exempt) and graduate job (FLSA exempt) to not overlap, even for one day.