Paid Administrative Leave for Academic Employees
Effective immediately, all academic appointees, policy-covered and represented employees are eligible to receive up to 16 working days or 128 hours (prorated for FTE of less than 100%) of paid administrative leave in order to cope with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Paid Administrative Leave may be taken ONLY when at least one of the following circumstances is met:
1) When an employee is unable to work due to the employee’s own COVID-19-related illness or that of a family member; or
2) When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed not to come to the worksite for COVID-19-related reasons and/or the worksite has implemented a COVID-19-related remote-work program or is under a shelter in place order and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely; or
3) When an employee is unable to work because a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure requires the employee to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.
Guidance Documents from UCOP
- UCOP Executive Order on Paid Administrative Leave (Mar. 16)
- Academic Appointees: COVID-19-Related Leave
Requesting Paid Administrative Leave
- Use of Paid Administrative Leave is at the request of the appointee in consultation with the supervisor.
Reporting Paid Leave
All employees shall be eligible to receive a one-time allotment of up to 128 hours of paid administrative leave, subject to the conditions. You and your supervisor need to keep track of the total amount of leave taken. A helpful tracking tool can be found here.
TRS (Time Reporting System) Users:
If you normally submit a timesheet to your supervisor through TRS, a new pay code CV19-Admin Leave with Pay is now available in TRS to report administrative leave as a result of COVID-19. You must consult your supervisor and receive approval in advance before recording time as administrative leave with pay.
Employee should utilize the code “Paid Leave (COVID19)” when reporting approved COVID-19 related paid administrative leave.
Non Time Reporting System (TRS) Users:
If you are not usually required to submit a timesheet to your supervisor, you must complete the Report of Academic COVID-19 Leave form. This form is intended for use to report pre-approved use of COVID-19 related Paid Administrative Leave as defined in President Napolitano’s Executive Order, issued on March 16, 2020 and the COVID-19-Related Leave for Academic Appointees: Guidance for Supervisors (Updated March 26, 2020).
- Employees may still use accrued sick, vacation or paid time off in order to address their own illness or the serious medical condition of a family member.
- The 128-hour allotment may be used consecutively in one block or intermittently.
- The paid administrative leave may be used prior to usage of accrued leave.
- The allocation for employees with less than full-time appointments (e.g., student employees) shall be prorated based on appointment percentage.
- Subject to the University’s ongoing operational needs, the paid administrative leave provided pursuant to the Executive Order must be used during the period from March 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 for the reasons stated in the covered categories only. All hours must be used by December 31, 2020, or any remaining hours in the allotment expire.
For questions regarding Paid Administrative Leave for Academic Appointees, please contact Esmeralda Martinez from the Academic Personnel Office: firstname.lastname@example.org.