Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for most up to date information about the fall semester.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
Division of Finance and Administration

Serving UC Merced through Stewardship,
Accountability and Excellence


General Policy 

Equipment Transfers involve a number of different methods and policies depending on the ownership of the equipment and the individual parties involved in the transfer. 

Equipment can be transferred between campus departments, between the University of California campuses, between the University and our sponsors, and between the University and other outside entities. Factors such as the equipment titleholder, the status of funding contact, and our relationship to the transferee can all have an impact on how the transfer of the equipment is handled. Many equipment transfers must be approved by the Equipment Management Department, the Sponsored Programs Administration, and the Dean of the department involved. 

Additionally care needs to be taken to insure that we do not have situations in which there exists any conflict of interest. 

Interdepartmental Transfer 

Departments can transfer equipment between different custodial codes by submitting an EIMR to Equipment Management. This transfer should be submitted by the Departmental Equipment Custodian with current custody of the equipment. Prior to requesting these equipment transfers please coordinate with the Equipment Custodian of the department the equipment is being transferred to. 

Federal funds may not be used: 

  • to purchase a piece of federally funded equipment from another campus department as this would result in the government paying for the same item twice. 
  • to purchase non-federally funded equipment as the cost thereof would have been used in the development of indirect costs. 

Sale or Transfer of Equipment to another Institution Resulting from the Transfer of a Faculty Member  

On some occasions a faculty member will transfer to another institution or campus and will request that certain equipment and supplies be transferred with him/her to that institution or campus. In such cases procedure will be as follows: 

  • Principal Investigator shall submit an Equipment Transfer Request to the Equipment Manager. Unit head and/or Dean's approval will be required. The Sponsored Projects Office will need to sign off on the request after they determine if the requested transfer can take place under the specific contract or grant terms. SPO will obtain sponsor approval, if required, including the appropriate disposition of any monies obtained. 
  • If the aggregate value of the transfer exceeds $10,000, approval of the Associate Vice Chancellor - Business and Administrative Services is required. 
  • Upon receipt of the necessary approvals, the Equipment will prepare the documentation necessary to transfer the equipment and supplies to the new institution. 

Transfer of Equipment to the University from an External Source 

Departments must report transfer of equipment from Federal or State agencies by: 

  • submitting a letter from the agency authorizing release of the equipment and an email to 
  • listing the equipment by manufacturer, model number, description, serial number and value. 

Equipment Management will issue property tags for each item valued at $5,000 or more.