The official University policy on donations of University-owned property is contained in Business and Finance Bulletin BUS-38, Part VII., Section B.
Donations of low-value items to be made to other governmental, non-profit, and educational institutions under certain circumstances and with the appropriate approvals:
- Their fair value must be de minimis, i.e., below the costs required for handling, record keeping, storage and other costs associated with trade or sale.
- The requesting organization must submit its request in writing, on official letterhead, and will be required to sign a standard University waiver and hold harmless agreement prior to taking possession of the donated property.
- The custodial department must submit an Equipment Inventory Modification Request (EIMR) to Equipment Management, signed by the Chair or Director, requesting approval of the donation.
- All donations must be approved by the Equipment Manager, Surplus Administrator and Materiel Manager, plus any exceptions approvers.
- NO PROPERTY MAY BE REMOVED FROM THE UNIVERSITY BEFORE THE APPROVALS ARE OBTAINED and a completed copy of the EIMR returned to the department.
If you have any questions regarding the policy on donations of University-owned equipment, contact Equipment Management at email@example.com.