If a check is not honored by the bank and is returned to the university, the consequences are as follows:
- A service charge of $20 for a returned check is assessed regardless of the amount of the check or the reason it was returned.
- Checks written to pay registration fees that are returned after the published registration deadline will incur an additional charge for late payment.
- Returned checks and service fees will be billed on the student's account.
- Campus-wide check writing privileges will be suspended until the item is paid.
- Campus-wide check writing privileges will be revoked if three (3) or more checks are returned.
Payment for returned checks requires guaranteed funds in the form of cashier's check or cash only.
The following may happen if the returned check is not paid within ten (10) days after notification.
- A hold will be placed on University services which include prohibiting registration, mailing of transcripts, and receipt of financial aid.
- The returned check may be turned over to the District Attorney's Office for collection.
Checks returned because of bank error require a letter from the bank to be sent to:
Campus Cashiering Services
University of California Merced
PO BOX 2450
Merced, Ca 95344
The bank must include the account number from the university bill or the student identification number.